Thursday, September 10, 2009

Milan Cronovich



How does one begin to recall the many incredible moments that were experienced in this past trip to Kenya? For me, there are volumes and volumes to record, and as I sit here writing this, I keep on thinking about all of the faces, names, stories, tears and great joy of my friends from Kibera. They are so resolute, so strong, so dependent on God's provision. They come from dire situations beyond our imagining, yet they have immense joy and hope. Having gone last year and returning this year, I was greatly encouraged by this trip. I was able to see friends that I had made and to meet new ones, many of whom portrayed to me incredible stories of hardship, devastation and the transforming power of God in their lives. We were able to see how the ministries have grown and to be encouraged by all of the new faces and the work being done...

One of the most powerful things for me, this year, was the first moment of recognition that I had with some of the kids I'd met last year. Not really knowing how much what we do lasts (I mean, we're only there for about two weeks each year), that moment was a huge confirmation that we are connected. When some of those kids saw me and ran up to me, calling me by name and throwing their arms around my neck . . . WHEW! What great joy! It was so encouraging and overwhelming and just tore me up. That moment will move you to tears. It really is a piece of Heaven on earth. (Below is a picture of me and one such child: Whitney - she's incredible. She said to me that she prayed everyday so that we would come back. They take prayer very seriously - something for us to strive for!)

God allowed me to be a part of the work He is doing in Kenya and despite great distance, lack of technology and numerous other obstacles, He draws us together with a familial bond that you can't forget. I don't know what the future holds, but I know that a piece of my heart is in Nairobi, in the Kibera slum with a couple groups of children and the amazing adults who sacrifice so much to be their leaders. Because of that, I am striving to live everyday in a way that honors them and that will allow me to continue to go back year after year.

This rumination continues to amaze me: God doesn't need me to do His work or to love and care for the children in Kibera. He is God and can do whatever He wills! But, He allows me that great and joyous experience so that I may know love, be blessed by it and have it shape my life into something more wonderful and rich than I could have ever had without it. Bwana a sifiwe! (Praise the Lord!)

No comments:

Post a Comment