Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chris Chow



It has been incredibly hard to decide which stories to share in this blog. Each precious child has an amazing and touching story, as you can see in my teammate's entries. I've decided to continue my blog entry from last year. I was blessed to be able to return for a second time and had the opportunity to reconnect with Dickson, a 12 year-old boy with a charisma that is difficult to forget. I was amazed by how much he has matured in a year. He has grown from a shy, soft-spoken 11-year-old into a natural leader - very aware and vocal. He spoke about the Kenyan government's issues with an eloquence and authority beyond his years. His dream is to become president one day to make a difference. He recited his favorite verse, Matthew 28:19, which speaks about making disciples of all nations. Dickson told us that his father used to be a drunkard and a drug abuser, but stopped ever since he became a Christian. He has so much potential, but the reality is that he has very limited opportunities living in Kibera. He asked if he could come back with me to the US. He inspires me to do whatever I can to give him an opportunity to rise out of poverty and fulfill his potential. I have a recording of our conversation:





- Me: Do you remember us, the camp last year?
- Dickson: Yes
- Me: Do you remember what you got on the last day?
- Dickson: I got a car (it was a Hot Wheels toy for reciting the memory verses)
- Me: What color?
- Dickson: Blue
- Me: Who gave it to you?
- Dickson: Chris
- Me: What did you tell Chris on the last day. Do you remember?
- Dickson: I will never forget you. God bless you, and take care. Next year - you will come next year?
- Me: I will try to come again next year
- Dickson: Are you going to help me?
- Me: Help you how?
- Dickson: Supporting me. I don’t have someone supporting me.
- Me: I would
- Dickson: I want to go to the US.
- Me: Why? To go to school?
- Dickson: Yes. And I ask you a question. Are you going to be taking what I’m saying to the US?
- Me: Yes. I am going to be showing this to a lot of people.
- Dickson: Thank you. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment