Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lori Fox


I don't like kids.
In fact, I was in Africa with a design group and trusting God to use my skills in that way.
He had bigger plans.
On my days off from the design work I was able to join with the Ecclesia team's kids camp. I was a bit apprehensive. I never grew up around kids, being an only child from a small family, so I don't really know what to do with them. Woody Allen said "80% of success is showing up." I decided I could at least do that. I showed up. The kids came to me.
I can run.
I can sing.
I can dance.
I did, we did.
Smiles.
Beauty.
It wasn't so bad. They didn't bite.
The next couple of times I went with the team to the Kibera Slum to visit some of the children's homes. It was difficult to see what their definition of "home" meant. Pain. Poverty. Hunger. Loneliness.
Yet somehow they were so alive. So full of the hope of Christ at such a young age. A huge contrast to the hopeless eyes that watched us from the roadside. I've been on my own quest for hope the past few years. Knowing Christ is to be my hope, but what does that look like in the midst of darkness and death? I'll tell you. It looks like the faces of these children. Smiling in the face of hunger. Speaking back to the giants of injustice. For the first time since my quest began, I was able to see a clear visual of true Hope in action. The life-giving, living, breathing power of God, His Word, His Son, actively moving and transforming lives for good against all opposition. These kids were like little yellow flowers growing in a barren desert.
The last time I met with the kids was at the retreat center where we were hosting the camp. A couple of the children began to latch on to me by this point. When I wasn't playing with the kids I was able to tuck into the background and help with serving food, or making gift bags. I was thankful I was able to serve in ways I'm comfortable with, but also that I was stretched into new realms of service in "kid-land". It's not hard to love kids. Give them a teaspoon of love and it can nourish them for days. I was glad our team brought quite a few gallons between all of us.
I had to be in a design meeting for the last few hours the kids were with us. I was meeting with the Maasai women inside the centre, but could see kids performing on the outside. They were doing skits and dramas, songs and dances. And don't tell anyone, but I wished I was out there with them.
Luke 18:16-17 "But Jesus called the children to him and said, ' Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'"
I guess kids aren't so bad after all. In fact, I'd be wise to act like one more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment