Saturday, September 26, 2009

Jesse Gloyd


My wife had been to Kenya two out of the three trips Ecclesia has taken. She missed the last because of the birth of our son Jack, but was determined to make it this year. Though I had seen her excitement and her love for the Kenyan people, I very much had my fears and doubts about taking on such a task.

I have a hard time thinking back; it feels like years, even though it was only a little over a month. We made a lot of friends and solidified relationships that had started several years earlier. It was quite amazing to see the interactions between the leaders and the people of the slum. It was truly inspiring to see the progress being made and the work being done.

There really isn't much that I feel I can add that others haven't already expressed. It is amazing to see the things that God is doing in Kibera; this is a given. It is also quite frightening to look evil in the eye. Evil doesn't blink. Corruption is rampant. It was hard to reconcile the stories we heard with the faces we came to know and love.

2 comments: